International Student Guide Amsterdam logo


Commercial agencies

In Amsterdam there are two agencies run on a non-commercial basis: ASVA, and SRVU, both mentioned above. All the other agencies in the city are run on a commercial basis, which means that they want to earn a profit. All commercial agencies offering houses or rooms must be registered with the Amsterdam authorities. Check the Wijksteunpunt Wonen at if you have questions. Agencies are allowed to ask for a registration fee. They will offer you a house or room within four months and if they are unable to do so, you can get your money back. If they do find you a room, you have to pay for their services.

Rotsvast wonen is a commercial agency that offers housing for a higher price. you have to pay a subscription fee, as well as a month’s rent and vat when they find you an apartment.

We advise you to be careful when you apply to a room agency. Go to the ASW office ( for information and advice. On the left you can find some commercial parties that are known to be reliable.

Randstadwonen offers furnished and unfurnished accommodation in the area of amsterdam and haarlem. registration is free.

The Student Hotel in Amsterdam offers Dutch and international students fully furnished rooms with private bathrooms, a shared or private kitchen, Wi-Fi and tv, including the use of a personal bike, gym, study rooms, lounges and a game room. The hotel has a reception with 24-hour security, a laundry room and a restaurant/bar. Rooms at The Student Hotel can be viewed online and are available for one or two semesters. The rooms can also be booked for a week or a month. The website is in English.

Amsterdam apartment rental offers studios, rooms, bed and breakfast and furnished houses in amsterdam, which can be rented temporarily.